It's amazing how your entire world can transform in a moment. Just another day can become the day that changed your life quicker than you can imagine. We take for granted that we have things under control. We say "God I trust you," but deep inside we are saying "God, I got this." It's no wonder, then, that, when things spiral out of control, our first questions are for God. I wonder if he answered our rapid fire questions in kind whether we would like the answers. Would the conversation sound something like this?
"God, why?"
"Because I want you to depend on me, not yourself. I want to use this circumstance to draw you closer to me and to draw others to me as well."
"God, what do I do?"
"Trust me."
"Why did you let this happen?"
"You will see in time, even though it doesn't make sense now. I love you, and I'm working all things for your good."
"How will this end?"
"If I told you now, you wouldn't have to trust me. But no matter what, you're with me?"
I don't know about anybody else, but I find God's answers to my questions rather frustrating at times. And his answers to my prayers...they can be even more baffling.
Beginning nine days ago, Michael and I's world was turned upside down, shaken around, and set back down again in a confused mess. But it's a beautiful mess, and I want to share it. I'm wordy, so I'm going to give it to you in bits.
On Monday, December 28, Michael took me to a routine prenatal visit for our 28 week old son. On Wednesday, December 30, at 10:01 A.M., Brennon David Morris entered the world kicking and screaming--tiny, but beautiful and healthy. The moments in between and after those two events have been some of those most life-changing, heart-wrenching, and awe-inspiring ones of our lives. In the middle of it all, I have to say this: God is amazing.
Let me tell you what He has done.
First, God scheduled my doctor's visit. He arranged the timing so that I would be at the O.B. at just the right moment for him to catch my sudden spike in blood pressure as my body suddenly rejected what had been up to that point a perfectly healthy pregnancy with no sign of trouble whatsoever. From the time my doctor examined me until I was admitted to the hospital, I, and through me my child, had gone from asymptomatic to being in serious danger. My blood pressure levels were skyrocketing, and I was at serious risk for stroke or seizure. If I had not had an appointment at that time, Brennon and I might not be here. Praise the Lord for His timing.
The second thing God did was give my doctor wisdom and my body strength. I didn't know it at the time, but my husband was asked to make some very difficult decisions, and so was my doctor. BUT God stabilized me when medicine could do no more.
Next, God placed me where He wanted me in the care of just the right people. It was too stormy to fly and too flooded to drive, but after a long wait and an unconventional ambulance ride, I ended up a a hospital filled with experts who had the skills to handle my situation. God worked through them and alongside them to save our lives. I will write some other time about my doctor and nurses more in depth.
Then, God touched my body, enabling it to withstand trauma and even build strength when it should have been impossible for it to do so, in order to nurture my little one through another day of development and give him strength to survive outside of the womb. The miraculous way He worked in my body had even non-Christians involved in the situation calling it a miracle.
God also surrounded us with the support of friends and family. We were covered with prayer from all over the world, and it made all the difference. The prayer that surrounded us made an impact on those witnessing the situation for God's glory.
Finally, He touched Brennon's body. He was dubbed "The Miracle Baby" and "Rockstar" in the NICU. PLENTY more on that later. :)
(This is one of my favorite pictures, by the way.) ;)
God has been with us through every step, making His love and His presence known, and all we can be is grateful. We have a long journey ahead, but we are learning to trust Him more each day. We are truly blessed.

Ashley, an awesome testimony! I have seen OB's sick like this and know how life threatening it can be for the both of you! Praise Him! HIS MERCIES are new every morning! Looking forward to meeting Brennon and watching him grow!
ReplyDelete