I've shared several photos on Facebook lately of beautiful sunrises. The other day, one of my students said, "Why do you take so many pictures of the sun? That's just unnecessary." I laughed and said, "Because it makes me happy."
Later I thought about it...why DO I take so many pictures of the sun? I realized that the off-the-cuff answer I had given my student was more true than I had realized. The sunrise does make me happy. It gives me a sense of peace, because I am reminded that there is a God in Heaven who shaped the world and crafted the galaxies with me in mind.
I can picture Him thinking, "She will see this someday," as He lovingly crafted each detail of the universe. The tiny dew droplets on fresh leaves, the cascade of the sun's rays over the earth, the delicious breeze drifting across the early morning horizon--all of these He specifically molded to give His children joy and remind us that His mercies "are new every morning." (Lamentations 3:23)
One of the sunrises my student had seen came on a particularly well-timed day. Here is a picture of it below.
I was in the middle of my busy morning, occupied with getting from Point A to Point B, when this sunrise grabbed my attention. It was as if God had taken me by both shoulders, turned me around, and said, "Look at me. I made this for you, because I love you. Don't forget."
It was just what I needed to "hear" that morning. And it was what I needed to remember this morning, again, when I opened my Facebook.
Although I praise the Lord for health and happiness in most of my nearest relations, lately some of my close friends have been going through pain and grief. I know that there is a reason for everything God allows, but sometimes I just cannot see the purpose for the pain that those I love must suffer. In the sunrise, God was reminding me that he knows about every person's pain, and He loves them too.
I realized this morning that God's new "mercies" are more than just forgiveness for sin or blessing on our lives. They are hope. A hope in something greater than ourselves and our pitiful state. An assurance that there is more to our existence than this life on earth--that the greatest things are yet to come.
Every morning, even the mornings when we wake up with tears in our eyes, God is there, keeping the glimmer of hope in our souls alive, reminding us that His purpose for us is greater than anything we could hope for ourselves. And, while His plan may not be easy, it is great.
When you are hurting, though, it can be more uncomfortable than comforting to think about God's greater plan overriding His children's hopes and dreams. It can still seem like God is being unkind or arbitrary.
I told Him so this morning.
Seemingly in response, I remembered the story of Jesus standing outside the tomb of His close friend, Lazarus, and weeping. He was not "looking sad," or "shedding a few tears," but weeping. Now just a minute. I know that Jesus is getting ready to raise Lazarus from the dead, and so does He, and He is bawling his eyes out? Shouldn't He be happy?
I realized that Jesus wasn't crying for Himself. He was thinking of the pain others were enduring. In that moment I was reminded that God feels our pain. He weeps with us when we are hurting, even though He doesn't always choose to take away the pain. Jesus could have prevented Lazarus' death. He made that clear. But He CHOSE to allow Lazarus to experience that pain so that others would have the opportunity to know Him better.
Even if I don't enjoy the thought that God allows us to suffer, it makes me feel a degree better to know that He feels my suffering too. I will try to be joyful, even in suffering, remembering that God hasn't left anyone to suffer alone. I'm glad He knew in advance I would need a reminder of His love. What unexpected ways He chooses to remind me.

No comments:
Post a Comment