Friday, April 12, 2013

Warm and Cozy Part II

Our living room is just a little more cozy now that it has a fireplace. At least, it looks like a fireplace, and it warms the room. My firefighter husband has seen too many flue fires in his lifetime to be comfortable with a real wood-burning fireplace, so we have installed an electric fireplace. You might not have noticed, though; it's extremely pretty

Michael and I can't take credit for any of the fireplace's creation, but we can claim its conception.  Ever since we looked at the gaping hole in our living room wall where the previous owners had stuck a television, we had imagined putting a fireplace there, and now we finally have.

I have been waiting to post any pictures until it was all finished, but I've been so excited it has taken a lot of self-control. So here it is, in all of its glory. Following the finished product are pictures of its construction. 

 Here is the finished product in the light.


 And in the dark...


 Another angle perhaps? 

We're planning to buy a screen for it, and of course I'll decorate the mantle someday. Also, we'll soon have some directional can lights lighting it...with a dimmer! I'm so excited. :) 


Here Michael is surprising me with an antique mantel that I love as a gift for 
our anniversary. You can see the hole in the wall behind it. He's such a sweetheart. 


We got a good deal on an electric insert



The mantel remains leaning against the wall for months 
and becomes a temporary bed for a hurt puppy.


The framing in begins!


Craig and Josh working hard. 


 There's a hole all the way through to the garage! 


 Michael inspecting the work


Rock is going up.


 The final product all spiffed up. (Again) :) 


We're really happy with our "fireplace," and it really adds a lot of hominess to our living room. 



No comments:

Post a Comment