Thursday, January 24, 2013

Oh the Joys of Teaching

Funny Teacher Moment:

First of all, let me say that my students are essentially wonderful young people whom I can trust. Secondly, it is good to note that they some of the orneriest individuals I have ever met.

I little bit of back story on my classroom. I teach at a private Christian school. It's a wonderful environment to work and learn in. The atmosphere is also more relaxed than in public school...and funny things happen.

Funny moments from the past:
  • Students randomly trip over things and go flying through the air, and I forget to check on them because I'm laughing so hard. 
  • A student hides in my classroom between classes then randomly appears and scares the living daylights out of me and the rest of the class. He happens to be black, and that just adds to his efficient camouflage and makes the shock more effective. 
  • My 9th grade class once developed a last name that incorporated the last names of every person in the school from 7th through 12th grade. Between each name was inserted the connective "en" and it was finished off with the suffix "heimer." They included the teachers.
  • A fundraiser poster for a spaghetti feed last year featured a giant dinosaur holding a large, glittering bowl of spaghetti. It also took a month for me to rid my classroom of glitter.
    The junior class of last year developed an entire play prophesying what the seniors of last year's lives will be like in twenty years (and the principal's, of course). They acted it out, impersonating their seniors, identified by large, tidied signs hung around their necks. 
  • I could go on forever, but I think you get the picture. 
Anyway, random teaching moment that made me laugh. I discovered that a student had drawn on all of the other student's play books (for the Junior/Senior play). What they drew was all a joke, but I didn't consider their humor amusing, so I had the student erase all of the markings and replace them with Scripture.

In order to facilitate the process, I looked up a Scripture verse on my iPhone and handed it to the student to copy. I received my phone back a couple of minutes later, unscathed, but with the following home and lock screen:



Guess I should have expected something of the sort. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment