The other day, we think we had an unwanted visitor at our house. I don't know who the person was, but he or she was so ungracious as to leave the lights and fan on and the back door unlocked when leaving. How rude! When I came home early, I may have rained on our visitor's parade, though, because he or she didn't get a chance to take anything--just to waste electricity.
It was an odd feeling, coming home to find things changed in your house that you didn't change yourself. It was not a new feeling for me, however, since my parents' home was robbed when I was younger. I still remember coming home and seeing the front door broken open. We opened the door, and the first thing I noticed was the table and couches were turned upside down. That was the eeriest feeling I think I've ever experienced.
In light of my past experience, a little electricity wasted and a hand print seemed quite pleasant. It has been interesting lately, though. I've had some good opportunities for self-examination. With all of the strong storms and unpredictable weather that have come through the area this year added to this recent visitor, I have been taught to hold loosely to the things I have. I don't think I have ever been at a point in my life where I felt less worried about my possessions. Granted, we have insurance, and that helps. :)
The other day, it seemed as if there were tornadoes all over the place, but my husband and myself (and our dog) were tucked safely away in a basement. I realized that, if every thing I had had been blown away, I really wouldn't have been that upset. It would have been inconvenient and troublesome, to be sure, but at the prospect of owning nothing, I felt no deep pang of regret. I like it that way. I always want to hold loosely to the things of the world. God will provide.
Now to trust God with my family...that's a different story. (Anxiety-girl: that's me!)
No comments:
Post a Comment